- RSS Channel Showcase 8520304
- RSS Channel Showcase 3083234
- RSS Channel Showcase 8977262
- RSS Channel Showcase 3175888
Articles on this Page
- 04/09/15--06:15: _REF and the pressur...
- 04/24/15--03:28: _Style guides
- 08/19/15--03:51: _We’ve taken the Pledge
- 09/29/15--03:53: _Managing peer revie...
- 10/12/15--17:17: _STEM heroine
- 11/02/15--07:34: _Preventing peer rev...
- 03/18/16--04:10: _25 years of Prepres...
- 05/09/16--05:04: _Our business in Europe
- 07/21/16--08:28: _OU Professional Cer...
- 09/21/16--07:56: _Recognition for pee...
- 12/15/16--06:50: _Investors in People...
- 09/20/17--06:26: _Summer internship a...
- 01/30/18--07:20: _IIYP Good Practice ...
- 03/26/18--08:52: _We have achieved Cy...
- 06/12/18--05:59: _Natalie’s graduate ...
- 04/09/15--06:15: REF and the pressure to publish
- 04/24/15--03:28: Style guides
- 08/19/15--03:51: We’ve taken the Pledge
- 09/29/15--03:53: Managing peer review (Peer Review Week 2015)
- 10/12/15--17:17: STEM heroine
- 11/02/15--07:34: Preventing peer review fraud
- 03/18/16--04:10: 25 years of Prepress Projects
- 05/09/16--05:04: Our business in Europe
- 07/21/16--08:28: OU Professional Certificate in Management Student of the Year Award
- 09/21/16--07:56: Recognition for peer review
- 12/15/16--06:50: Investors in People Gold Award
- 09/20/17--06:26: Summer internship at Prepress Projects
- 01/30/18--07:20: IIYP Good Practice Award at Gold level
- 03/26/18--08:52: We have achieved Cyber Essentials certification
- 06/12/18--05:59: Natalie’s graduate journey
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is an exercise undertaken approximately every 5 years to evaluate the quality of research undertaken by higher education institutes in the UK. It allows UK higher education funding councils to determine the value of grants awarded to each institution. The last REF year was 2014 and the results can be found here. In the world of the ... Read More
Is it Star Trek into Darkness or Star Trek Into Darkness? This cartoon from XKCD may be an extreme example of uncertainty about style, but the full discussion shows what can happen if people don’t agree on applying firm rules. A while ago, some freelance editors we know on Twitter remarked that ‘data are’ looked wrong. In contrast, we are ... Read More
Prepress Projects has just signed up to the Scottish Business Pledge, another sign of our commitment to good working practices and support for our employees. The Scottish Business Pledge was launched in May by the Scottish Government as part of a partnership between Government and business to support sustainable business growth in Scotland. It’s a voluntary commitment for companies in Scotland to ... Read More
This week is Peer Review Week 2015. From Monday 28 September to 2 October, Wiley, ORCID, Sense about Science and Science Open have teamed up to celebrate peer review, highlight its importance in scientific communications and recognise the reviewers who commit so much of their time and effort to it. Managing the peer-review process is at the heart of what ... Read More
Ada Lovelace Day, when we are encouraged to celebrate women in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM), falls on 13 October this year. We work mostly in science and technology, but 14 October happens to be the birthday of a great female engineer: Victoria Drummond. Drummond was a native of our own county of Perthshire and became the UK’s first female ... Read More
At Prepress Projects, the editorial office team manage the peer-review process of a number of academic journals. We play a significant role in helping our journal editors find reviewers to evaluate submitted manuscripts. We abide by journal ethical guidelines to ensure we find qualified reviewers who will evaluate manuscripts fairly and honestly and without any conflict. We take great care ... Read More
It was 25 years ago, more or less, that I gave up work to become a freelance editor. David didn’t join the business until 2 years later, which sounds like another good excuse for a lunch in 2018. A lot of water has passed under a lot of bridges since then. Or more appropriately, red ink. We started with editing ... Read More
Today is Europe Day: the anniversary of the Schumann declaration in 1950, beginning the work towards the European Union as we know it. At Prepress Projects we have many reasons to celebrate Europe and the European Union. Here’s a map showing some of them: This map shows the location of some of our major recent and current clients. (That’s us in red ... Read More
I work as a Project Leader for a team within Prepress Projects specialising in journal editing and production. Last year I studied for a Professional Certificate in Management with the Open University to help me develop managerial skills that will be useful in my future career. The training was funded by Prepress Projects as part of its programme of staff development. Several of my ... Read More
The theme of this year’s Peer Review Week is ‘Recognition for review’. Though the value of peer review in academic journal publishing is well acknowledged, it seems that those who are performing the reviews are not being given the same recognition. A 2015 survey by Wiley on the peer-review experience of journal reviewers has been interesting reading. The survey found ... Read More
We are proud to announce that we have achieved Investors in People Gold Accreditation, putting the company in the top 2% of UK companies for good people management policies. We have held Investors in People (IIP) accreditation since 2005, but achieving gold status is a milestone for the company. Naturally, we are all really pleased about this. The above picture shows the award being presented (left ... Read More
My first few weeks at Prepress Projects flew by in a blur of training sessions and getting to grips with new things. I very quickly learned to style documents, brushed up on my proofreading symbols, and was taught how to use more complex features in Microsoft Word, like wildcards, to help me work more efficiently.
Prepress Projects has gained the Investors In Young People (IIYP) Good Practice Award at Gold level. The company has held Investors in People (IIP) accreditation since 2005, and in December 2016 was awarded IIP accreditation at Gold level. At the same time it was recognised as an Investor in Young People for the first time. The IIYP Gold award follows an independent review carried out in December 2017 ... Read More
It's a reassurance for all our clients that we are aware of the damage that security breaches can cause, and have taken the necessary steps to ensure our systems, and your data, are kept safe.
I began my career with Prepress Projects almost exactly 1 year ago. I graduated in 2015 with a MA in geography from the University of Edinburgh before gaining work experience, during which I identified my ideal career path to be publishing. I completed a MSc in publishing at Edinburgh Napier University in 2017. I learned of Prepress Projects through this course and, after keeping an eye on the company’s recruitment updates, I felt very fortunate to be able to begin working as a Project Editor while completing my dissertation.